|IATA Code:||Airport:||Alliance:||Loyalty Program:||In-flight Magazine:|
|SA||OR Tambo Airport||Start Alliance||Voyager Miles||Sawubona|
The pride of South Africa, SAA (short for South African Airways) is situated in Johannesburg’s Airways Park and is the largest local and international carrier company, sporting flights to approximately 38 destinations worldwide. The majority of South African Airways flights depart via Johannesburg; however there are exceptions with certain flights departing from Cape Town.
Founded in 1934 South African Airways split from its parent company Transnet to become part of the Star Alliance Group, as part of the Star Alliance Group South African Airways now offer a air miles programme called “Voyager” where air miles are accruable transversely over the Star Alliance Network. Part of SAA’s impressive portfolio is Mango Airlines, along with links to South African Express and Airlink.
South African Airways has a very specific mission and has committed themselves to providing the highest quality services to all their patrons, from luxury airport lounges, to a warm welcoming while boarding and an in-flight menu created but some of the most renowned chefs. Overall SAA strives to deliver world class service with each and every flight.
Recently named the most on time airline in the world, South African Airways sports an impressive fleet of 54 plus Boeing 737’s. The majority of which are always fuelled and ready to go to any one of the 38 destinations they fly to, these destinations include local, regional and international flights.
Added perks on FlySAA flights include:
- 2 I 4 I 2 in flight seat layout for added comfort
- A free copy of the in flight magazine Sawubona
- Business and First class long haul amenity kits
- In flight entertainment channels with audio video (please note this feature is not available on the A340-200 Aircrafts
South African Airways Bookings
South African Airways have simplified the bookings process, bookings, reservations, amendments and cancellations can now be made online or via the SAA call centre on 0861 359722. For fast, easy and affordable bookings you can also visit www.flywise.co.za website.
Travelling with pets
SAA will transport your beloved pet permitted the following conditions are met:
- All animals that are being imported into South Africa must have a micro chip implant for identification purposes. All animals that do not have a micro chip will be placed in quarantine.
- All pets need to be vaccinated; SAA reserves the right to request proof of vaccination.
- No pets will be permitted in the cabin, with the exception of service dogs.
- A Proper carrier container must be provided by the owner.
Good to Know
- All animals are carried as manifesto cargo, the SAA live animal cargo hold is in accordance with the IATA Live Animals Regulations Law.
- Only cats and dogs will be checked as excess baggage. This will only be permitted on certain domestic flights, SAA urges all patrons to contact the cargo section on +27 11 9783366 prior to bookings to confirm acceptance.
- Service dogs are carried at no additional cost
- For domestic flights the weight of the animal and its container will be charged as excess baggage.
- Certain countries may require entry permits and other relevant documentation before pets will be allowed entry, SAA urges all patrons to contact the service centre before hand to find out what documentation may be required.